[Qgis-developer] Support for field aliases in expressions

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Mon Sep 8 04:19:47 PDT 2014

Hi,

I today was discussing the idea of support for column aliases in
expressions. The use-case for this is that engineers using GIS in their
language will be able to use the same field names that they are used to
(but not in the common database which is english) to filter the
attribute table etc.

For prepared execution this will not make any difference and the only
problem I can think of apart from this is name collision, something we
can prevent by not allowing duplicate aliases (or check and warn in the
prepare function).

We could make it optional (in the API) and by default use expressions
without alias support when used from python but enable it for the calls
from core. But I am not sure this is required.

Opinions? Is there something I forgot?

Matthias