[Qgis-developer] Telemetry Layer (MQTT Integration) - alpha released

Andrew McClure andrew at southweb.co.nz
Wed Sep 17 04:01:00 PDT 2014

Dear QGIS developers,

I have submitted my first QGIS plugin to the world.

It is experimental, unfinished, and no doubt has many defects.

For the past 3 months or so between farm and family chores I have worked to bring a vision to fruition - combining an IoT (Digimesh) sensor network with the QGIS platform serving as a human machine interface (HMI).  It struck me that sensors are locational by nature; and that QGIS provides an excellent ready made HMI and deployment framework.

Our work on the wireless sensor network continues in the background, but the Telemetry Layer plugin has been kept generic so that developers of other MQTT related services can integrate their platforms.

A few disclaimers:

- this is my first python development so please forgive variances in coding style as I mature.
- I love developing on my Mac, and recent tests on Windows and Linux indicate stability issues ( which seem for the most part have been dealt to on the Mac )
- I need help.  The project is at a stage where more eyes would be beneficial.
- I am new to running an open source project. My recent background has been running a Drupal web dev/hosting shop using paid contractors - so please bare with me as I familiarise myself with the protocols of voluntary collaboration

Acknowledgements - a big thanks to:

- Larry Shaffer who helped me establish my initial dev. environment
- Chris Cook - another New Zealander - with his pointers on the user interface
- Matthias who is assisting with the custom setEditForm ( which sort of works on my Mac but not on any other platform currently )

GIT Repo can be found here:

https://github.com/nzfarmer1/telemetrylayer

Andrew