[Qgis-developer] Module dependencies

Trevor Wiens tsw.web at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 08:22:12 PDT 2014

I agree with earlier comments that this is largely a distribution problem
and that automatic functionality creates some risks.

I posted yesterday about how Windows installs having their own versions of
python installed makes using tools like pip or easy_install challenging.

I can see two possible ways forward:
1. Use a generic python install rather than installing its own version.
This way pip and other tools will work fine.
2. Provide a tool to execute pip for the QGIS specific version of python
for Windows installs (I don't know what happens under Max OS)

It seems to me that option 1 would be the most obvious choice making
Windows installs similar to Linux installs and simpler to add and remove
libraries as needed. I think that adding more and more stuff to the OSGeo4W
install doesn't make sense.

TSW

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 6:15 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>
wrote:

> Il 23/09/2014 12:59, Matthias Kuhn ha scritto:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I think we have to clearly separate two different things here:
> >
> >  * Dependencies on plugins
> >  * Dependencies on python modules
>
> Right, sorry if I somewhat induced this confusion.
> Both issues are worth dealing with, however.
> All the best, and thanks.
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
> Corsi QGIS e PostGIS: http://www.faunalia.eu/training.html