[Qgis-developer] standardisation of the editing map tools: modify behaviour of press-pan-release tools

Ramon Andiñach custard at westnet.com.au
Wed Sep 24 04:23:13 PDT 2014

On 24/09/2014, at 16:56 , Denis Rouzaud wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> There is somehow an inconsistency in the behaviour of the current editing map tools.
>
> Some, like add features, uses the left click to trigger the action.
> Others, like the node tool or move feature use press-pan-release mouse events:
> * mouse press to select the node/feature
> * mouse mouse to move it
> * mouse release sets the position.
>
> I would propose to standardise this and for the latter tools propose the following work flow:
> * left click enables the move
> * left click again to validate at position
> * or right click to cancel
>
> Why changing this?

> If you look at CAD software, they also use the proposed approach. And there's a reason for doing so, which is valid for QGIS too.

With all due respect I've never understood why click-click is better than click-drag for moving.
I've always found select and drag far more intuitive and echoes equivalent actions in most of the other similar tools I use.

As for the apparent inconsistency, in my head they're different sorts of things.
If I'm adding a feature, I put it (click) here.
If I'm moving a feature, I pick it up (click-drag) move it to there and put it down (release).

I further suspect that since the node tool does more than just move nodes, this is probably asking for a separation into node-move and a node-insert and a segment-move and a... tools.
I really like having all of these in one tool, instead of perpetually going off to some menu to pick a different tool.

[snip]
> This is why, changing the map tools behaviour is requested if we want to go further with CAD tools in QGIS.

Please say this isn't a case of; we need to change the established behaviour of the main program to make a plugin work better - because it's pretty easy to read that way.

Sorry if that sounds a bit grumpy, I just don't see how this is better.

-ramon.
User, who obviously doesn't work with CAD programs.