[Qgis-developer] standardisation of the editing map tools: modify behaviour of press-pan-release tools

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Sep 24 05:00:24 PDT 2014

On 24-09-14 10:56, Denis Rouzaud wrote:

> So, the bottom line, any objection to changing the behaviour of:
> * edit node tool
> * move feature
> * rotate feature
> * move label
> * rotate label
> * any other press-pan-release map tool that I am not aware of
> ???

Hi Denis,

though I'm not a hard core digitizer/edittool user, I think removing
inconsistency is always good!
But I would really wait for some input of a hardcore editing user.

What about writing per tool, the behaviour you propose in a QEP
(https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals) so we can discuss
it there?

One thing that I cannot fit in your proposal is how to do the multiple
selection of features (eg used for rotating and moving a group of
features). If you have one tool for both selecting features and
dragging/rotating them, when does the tool 'know' when you finished
selecting and start doing the action? (trying to answer myself: using
the ctrl and/or shift key??). You also miss the different selection
options... OR you make the selection via the selection tool optional: so
for one feature the 'selecting' is via a click, for a set of features
you go via the normal selection tool?
Last thing: when moving (a set of features) without really 'dragging',
is the 'dragging' visible in your proposal? Or can you only see the
displacement/move after the second click. I hope I can preview stuff
during  my action, but I cannot fit that in your view of being able to
do other things then.

Shorter version: as long as you make it more consistent and usable: go :-)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde