[Qgis-developer] NULL handling and numeric data types

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Sep 24 07:51:31 PDT 2014

Hi,

I frequently have data with NULL values and still have problems with
QGIS correctly handling them.

While QGIS displays NULL values of text types correctly as NULL, NULL
values of numeric data types (e.g. smallint, double, numeric) just
display as an empty string. I would rather like to see NULL instead of
the empty string in the widget.

Can we do something about that so that NULL values are correctly
displayed as NULL also for numeric data types?

QGIS server even displays numeric values with NULL values as "0" instead
of "NULL" - which is wrong in my opinion. It is misleading as 0 and NULL
are not the same.

My data is in Postgis and I tested both with 2.4 and current master.

Thanks,
Andreas