[Qgis-developer] QGIS GRASS plugin - modules upgrade

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 05:09:31 PDT 2015

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 9:14 AM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

>> BTW, as Markus Neteler pointed out, there is a list differences
>> between GRASS 6 and 7:
>>   https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7/NewFeatures#Replacedandremovedmodules
>>   https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7/NewFeatures#Renamedmodules
>>   https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7/NewFeatures#Optionschanges
>> and a table used by the commands to advertise new parameters in case
>> the user used the old style:
>>   https://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass/branches/releasebranch_7_0/lib/gis/renamed_options
>>
>> If you upgrade a module definition in QGIS, please update also its status on
>> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS-QGIS_relevant_module_list
>
> I wonder why UI is not generated on the fly or during compilation? To
> maintain manually UI in QGIS is complicated and the result will be
> always out-of-date. Just 2 my cents, Martin

UI is generated on the fly when a module UI is opened. It is using
options description printed by GRASS module (--interface-description)
combined with options definition for the module in QGIS (.qgm file).
The additional options definition in QGIS is mainly for two purposes:

1) limit number of options not to frighten users, some GRASS modules
are also represented as multiple items with predefined options

2) define relations between options (e.g. type or column option
relation with input vector) or special options which has dedicated
widget in UI (e.g. GDAL/OGR input).

It was surely difficult to keep options in sync with GRASS modules,
but with the new debugging tool (in master), it is possible to check
all options/modules with just one click.

Radim