[Qgis-developer] CI testing for OSX

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed Aug 19 09:56:36 PDT 2015

Hi Nyall,

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 4:33 AM, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 19 August 2015 at 08:43, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com> wrote:
>
> > Yeah, the postgres and postgis being preinstalled is a bit of a pain,
> since
> > they do not seem to keep them updated.
> >
> > Looks like, since they *are* installed, you can try skipping them (and
> other
> > non-essential recommended libs) as dependencies with:
> >
> > $ brew install qgis-28 --without-postgis --without-postgresql
> > --without-grass --without-gpsbabel --only-dependencies
>
> Thanks Larry - this has knocked about 10 minutes off the build time!
> Much appreciated :)
>
> Still no luck with getting the postgres test working yet though. I
> suspect that Travis has issues with the default postgres installation
> under their OSX containers.

Under a normal Homebrew install of postgres it is not running. If you look
at `brew info postgresql` you will see at the end:

"To load postgresql:
  launchctl load ~/Library/LaunchAgents/homebrew.mxcl.postgresql.plist
Or, if you don't want/need launchctl, you can just run:
  postgres -D /usr/local/var/postgres"

I don't see anything in QGIS/ci/travis/osx that indicates postgres is being
spun up, i.e.:

/usr/local/bin/postgres -D /usr/local/var/postgres

Regarding the GRASS provider tests, I can redo the grass-64 builds so that
there are fresh 'bottles' (compiled binary installs) for quick loading.
Then GRASS is only a ~20 MB download and its tests can be run. Likewise,
GRASS7 ends up only 24 MB. I can work on these bits as needed. I'm away
from my build server (where I generate the bottles) today, though.

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota