[Qgis-developer] Moving to Trusty for Travis tests

Tom Chadwin tom.chadwin at nnpa.org.uk
Thu Dec 3 03:05:17 PST 2015

Apologies if this is too off-topic, but with Travis releasing their new
Google Compute Engine infrastructure, I've done some work on my Travis
setup, including moving from Ubuntu Precise to Trusty. Briefly, the issues I
encountered under Trusty as opposed to Precise were:

- xvfb now has to be installed as it is no longer part of the environment

- most pip installs now have to be run with sudo, or you get permission
denied (don't know why this has changed)

- in my .travis.yml, I had to move from "language: python" to "language:
generic", as it seemed that there was confusion between system Python and
QGIS Python (resulting in fatal numpy Unicode errors)

- unit tests which open a webpage now pause Travis, indefinitely as far as I
can tell (the Travis output says "≪ ↑ ↓ Viewing <index.html>"). I don't know
how to get round this, so I've had to avoid any tests which open a webpage.
Any help in this gratefully received.

- nose-faulthandler fails to install ("faulthandler.c:7:20: fatal error:
Python.h: No such file or directory"). No idea why, again, any suggestions
welcome

The increased reliance on sudo is a shame, as this make transition to their
container-based infrastructure less possible.