[Qgis-developer] QEP - Proposal for QGIS 3.0 after 2.14

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 13:04:09 PST 2015

On 25 October 2015 at 22:03, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:

> On 10/25/2015 08:23 AM, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
>>
>> Of course we can develop it without breaking anything if done in a
>> branch.  But having a plan around all this is the point of all this I
>> think just so we are all on the same page
>>

> We do (most likely) not need to keep it in a separate branch. Just like
> we do not have a Qt5 branch. It's all in master.
>
> My point is:
>
> If we think about taking the step towards QGIS 3 with py3 and pyqt5
> anytime soon, then the first steps are clear anyway. And probably not
> even too hard.
>
> Having a plan is good. Having a plan based on solid knowledge is better.

I'd like to get this discussion moving again, since timing is critical.

What I see as the way forward:

- Get PSC to vote on and accept
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/29 . Needs
to be done ASAP so that we're all agreed that 2.14 is the last 2.0
series release.

- Decide on the timing for 3.0. Specifically, will the normal
scheduled release after 2.14 be skipped to allow for a longer
development cycle for 3.0. Regarding this, my opinion is that we NEED
the longer cycle to allow room for the (non Qt5/python 3.0) related
changes which we can ONLY make for an API breaking release. There's
already a long list at https://github.com/qgis/qgis3.0_api/issues, and
I suspect this is only scratching the surface. Without sufficient time
for devs to address these API related issues we'll be stuck with the
limitations of the current API for another 2-3 years.

Anyway, can we please lock in point 1 above so that we can move the
discussion on to timing?

Nyall