[Qgis-developer] Future of OpenLayers plugin - time to deprecate?

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Wed Dec 30 19:42:27 PST 2015

As a non-developer if I can chip in my .02 cents worth - I think
deprecating it might be a good thing. To me it was always a plugin that
received a lot of applause - but the one that would cause the most
questions ("why can't I use this imagery in map composer"). While I
liked having access to google/bing imagery - it always made me more
uncomfortable having it there because of the terms of service.

I didn't know that QuickMapServices was a plugin - and after looking at
it I think most people will have a problem because there is no
google/bing imagery in that one. In the US I have enough choices for
imagery - and that might not be the case everywhere else. I'm unsure how
up to date MapQuest Aerial is - but better than nothing.

Possibly add a pop-up/warning on the open layers plugin since it is
popular - "We are in the process of deprecating this plugin".

Other than that - +1 for retirement.

Randy