[Qgis-developer] Multiple labeling layers ?

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 04:00:03 PST 2015

Hi Hugo

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 9:37 PM, Hugo Mercier <hugo.mercier at oslandia.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have a request to refine the way layers can be cached and especially
> regarding the handling of labels.
>
> The goal is to be able to optimize what is redrawn during the rendering
> when features of only some of the vector layers are moving (a script
> somewhere makes them move), and the other vector layers stay the same
> (same data, same extent)

Sounds good. Do I understand correctly you want to avoid having to register
features on every map rendering?

What exactly would be cached - features / label candidates? for one view /
for the whole map?

I would like to allow labels to be manipulated in a new kind of
> "labeling" layers, which could be organised as any other layer in the
> legend : on top / above other layers, with blending modes, etc.

Recently there was a ticket filed for that:
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/12131
By reordering do you mean that the labeling could get "under" some other
layers - i.e. wouldn't be drawn always on top?

Or do you mean that a "labeling" layer would actually _draw_ extra labeling
instead of _providing_ features? This could be indeed an interesting piece
of functionality.

Cheers
Martin