[Qgis-developer] Dubt on plugins without repo and bugtrack

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Wed Feb 18 02:53:23 PST 2015

Hi Luigi,

While a bugtracker and a code repository are definitely a good thing to
have I do not think that it should be mandatory from the beginning.

It should be required that a way to contact the developer (mail), the
source code and license are there.

At the beginning (experimental) state of a plugin the dev may be worried
about other things than the bugtracker and telling him by mail about
possible defects is fine (it's him who has to deal with this).

Plugins need to be open source, but the way they handle project
management and community should be up to the plugin author. So the best
thing we can do is send him a notice with "what has been tested by and
proven helpful for others in the past".

Putting too many requirements in place may scare people off.

I think being minimal with regard to requirements is important for
experimental plugins and IMHO I would treat it the same way for stable
plugins but there is a bit more space to discuss requirements I think.

How do others feel?

Best regards,
Matthias