[Qgis-developer] QGIS and GRASS 7.0.0

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Mon Feb 23 23:08:18 PST 2015

Olá Pedro,

Il 23/02/2015 22:06, Pedro Venâncio ha scritto:

> Despite the great advantages of GRASS commands in Processing, I think
> that the GRASS plugin still plays an important role and is an excellent
> interface for GRASS. For those who still like to use the paradigm of
> locations, mapsets and the GRASS topological model, GRASS plugin is very
> important, because then it allows to use all QGIS tools, for example, to
> create layouts using the Composer, etc.

Agreed. Moreover, the overhead of importing/exporting data for each step
of a complex analysis puts GRASS algs to a disadvantage for Processing
users.
BTW, I'm unsure about the G7 support in the Browser: could someone check
thoroughly?

> If no one is interested in making the port of the plugin for GRASS 7, we
> could try through a crowdfounding initiative. Who was behind the initial
> creation of GRASS plugin?

Yes, I have been talking about that. Radim did most of the work on the
plugin. If he (or eventually others) are available, a crowdfounding
initiative could be appropriate.

> I've been checking the differences and they are indeed few. Please see
> the spreadsheet attached.

Obrigado for this.

> Some commands seem that were adaptations of other algorithms, made for
> Processing, as they are not in the 6 manual, or in the 7:
> r.cost.full.raster, r.drain.coordinate, r.terraflow.short,
> v.surf.rst.cvdev.line, v.surf.rst.line, v.transform.pointsfile.

Yes, these are adaptations of the original commands, in order to make
them more usable from QGIS.

> Others seem that have been removed from GRASS 7 (r.average, r.bilinear,
> r.bitpattern, r.surf.idw2), as they are not in the GRASS 7 manual.
>
> There are five that seem important to me, which are in GRASS 7, in
> Processing GRASS 6, but not in Processing GRASS 7: r.out.xyz, r.ros,
> r.spread, r.univar, v.kernel.
>
> Finally, there are two commands that are on GRASS 7 and were not in 6:
> r.viewshed (which replace r.los) and r.relief (which replace
> r.shaded.relief).

Overall, I think these are minor issues. If someone really miss them,
they can ask, and we can add them.

All the best, and thanks again.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu