[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-psc] Clarification of outcome of PSC meeting 16/1

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 18:26:17 PST 2015

On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 3:59 AM, Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com> wrote:

> We have a import hook in place so it would be possible to have just import
> PyQt and handle which version is imported on our side however this is a bit
> magic and I'm not sure many people would like it. Stuff like this also
> breaks tooling because there is no PyQt module so most auto complete will
> not work. (I have tried this trick before to strip Qgs from the front of
> all classes on the fly)

Agreed that adding magic to import PyQt4 or PyQt5 would not make things
better. Plugin developers still would need to be aware of that and couldn't
use new functionality from Qt5 anyway. QGIS 3 will supposedly introduce API
cleanup, so the plugins will need to be adjusted anyway (some more, some
less).

Cheers
Martin