[Qgis-developer] Plugin repo: status

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Jan 20 08:04:52 PST 2015

Hi,

One lead is Ed Parsons: http://www.edparsons.com/ He was a keynote
speaker at our Graphical Web conference:
http://www.graphicalweb.org/2014/#presentation_42 - as far as I know he
also attended Foss4G in Portland.

However, in my opinion, we should first establish the QGIS association
to have a body that can negotiate with Google. Google was sponsoring our
conference multiple times in the past - however, you need to fill out
paper work. And for this you need to be a legal entity.

I would also recommend to first establish other contacts with Google
before you ask them if you can legally access their tiles (which I am
pretty sure they wouldn't allow anyway - because they did contracts with
geodata providing companies which would disallow such use). A large
share of Googles geodata was bought from other companies - and for this
reason they cannot provide all of their data in the open. Like it or not.

Establishing a legal entity should really be a top priority of the PSC.

Andreas