[Qgis-developer] Data-defined buttons for "en masse" size and rotation

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Tue Jan 20 13:51:25 PST 2015

Hi Régis,

Thanks a lot for all the details!

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 9:30 PM, Régis Haubourg
<regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr> wrote:
> - use data defined widget used in labeling windows in symbology screens.
> This will be more consistent and was discussed previously on the list. I
> found some money for that, hope community still agrees

You certainly have +1 from me.

> - add graduated classification for size, with same classification options as
> for current renderer. This will be possible to set both color graduated
> legend and size varying legend that way, with legend enabled.

Great!

> - add a GUI assistant to help users define expressions for continuous size
> varying expressions. We currently have that in "advanced fields", which
> appears to be confusing to users here. We would like to plug that assistant
> with "label" expressions widgets.

I like the idea. As mentioned, I think we should strive to pick the
most easily understandable name for the menu entry for this assistant.

> This topic needs precise mockups
> because it's not easy to understand interactions of datadefined tools on
> symbol / marker level from a UX point of view.

+1 oh yes :-)

> - when using the GUI assistant or the graduated classification, we will
> enable a legend for mapcanvas and composer 's legend. That legend will be of
> this type  [0]

This will certainly be a nice addition. Will it work with all kinds of
point markers? Or only simple markers?

> [0] http://s14.postimage.org/3jr9kcmgh/muesure.png

Best wishes,
Anita