[Qgis-developer] Possible bug with select in a rectangle - Correction

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Mon Jan 26 00:34:06 PST 2015

Hi Again,
I have now managed to check QGIS tracking, and couldn't find any similar
issues.
I can't be sure about the bit in red strikethrough below, so ignore that
part.

Regards,
Zoltan

On 2015/01/26 09:08, Zoltan Szecsei wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> I tried to go to QGIS issue tracking, but was told that the "site was
> under heavy load", so haven't checked if this is a known issue.
>
> Platform is Ubuntu 14.10 with self-compiled QGIS 1614ac8.
>
> Scenario:
> I have a shape file with some 700K points, and a raster image covering
> about 10 of these points.
> I want to delete all except these 10 points.
>
> Try #1
>
>     I select my 10 points, open the attribute table and click invert
>     selection.
>     I then click the red bin (delete selected) and wait (I left it
>     going overnight)
>     The next morning I killed the task and when I re-opened the point
>     file, my 10 points were deleted and the rest were still there.
>     Clue: I might have clicked delete selected before the 'invert
>     selection' had finished. This would be due to the fact that I may
>     not have seen (if any) indication that the invert selection task
>     had completed.
>
> Try #2
>
>     I zoom to the extents of the point file, turn off rendering of the
>     point file, turn on editing in the point file.
>     I then select (invisible) features from this point file in a large
>     rectangle above my visible raster image.
>     After a few second I get no indication that anything is selected,
>     and the 'delete selected' icon remains grey.
>     I turn on rendering for the point shape file, and those that were
>     in my rectangle are rendered in yellow (ie: 'selected')
>     I open the attribute table and the 'delete selected' icon IS red,
>     and I can move my selection to the top.
>     I then delete the selection from the attribute table as the icon
>     on the toolbar is still not 'available'.
>     After 10 minutes or more, I get tired of waiting and kill the job.
>
> Try #3
>
>     I re-open the point file, leave rendering on, select the same
>     points as in try #2 above, and click 'delete selected'.
>     After 2-3 minutes or so, the selected points are deleted as expected.
>
> So, I've raised a few issues here, but they seem to be centred on the
> attribute table being open.
>
> Regards,
> Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za