[Qgis-developer] Best practice for a new Vector Data Provider

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 03:20:40 PST 2015

Hi

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 7:05 PM, Sverre Jonassen <sverre.jonassen at norkart.no
> wrote:

> A fourth option would be to create a plugin for OGR. This is, however, not
> a good solution for me because I would run a high risk of data conversion
> errors. Our format is much more similar to the QGIS internal geodata model
> than to the OGR geodata model.

I would also suggest implementing OGR driver for your data format. If you
decide to implement a c++ provider for QGIS, you may end up with some
challenges. Provider for a proprietary data format is not likely to be
accepted to QGIS source tree. That implies you would need to compile and
ship the provider by yourself. The binary compatibility between QGIS
releases is not guaranteed - that means you would need to compile the
provider for all supported releases and for all supported platforms (at
least win32 and win64).

Often a good option is to just have custom Python plugin in QGIS for
is not enough.

Btw. I don't see many differences between QGIS geodata model and OGR
geodata model - in fact the one in QGIS is meant to be similar to the one
of OGR.

Regards
Martin