[Qgis-developer] Virtual layers for QGIS

Hugo Mercier hugo.mercier at oslandia.com
Wed Jul 1 01:17:37 PDT 2015

Hi all,

Probably not the perfect timing, but anyway, I would like to move
forward on that topic of virtual layers.

The current implementation has already some use cases. It is not as
integrated into the expression engine as we might want, but it offers
possibilities that were hard to achieve before.

It consists merely of a new vector data provider. It does not depend on
particular modifications in QGIS. So the impact on the current API is
null. There will be some glue code in the app part of course,
but apart from that, I think including it into the core as just another
data provider won't bother other possible future implementations around
this concept. And it will serve as a functional prototype.

We may want to tag it as experimental or something like this, saying
that this is probably not the final (or the only) way QGIS will handle
the concept of "virtual layers" in the future.

And because it is only a data provider (... and a class in DBManager),
people may choose not to ship it with their binary version of QGIS if
they don't want to.

So ... is there any objection against that being pushed as a new vector
data provider for the 2.12 ?