[Qgis-developer] Freeze on release-2_8 branch

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Mon Jul 13 03:46:50 PDT 2015

Dear developers,

The last LTR is already more than 2 months old, in this time 138 commits
have been pushed to release-2_8.
It is great to see how actively this LTR is being maintained and
bugfixes being backported.

Unfortunately it seems impossible that we have an unintentional 2 weeks
timeframe without anything being backported.

As with this amount of fixes ready to be shipped I think it would be a
pitty not doing it.

I think it would be great to branch a release-candidate-2_8_3 (no
binaries released, just to backport possible issues identified on the
release-2_8 binaries, related to pre-rc-commits). This way people can
happily continue to backport stuff.

Until this happens (and mainly for the situation where it does not happen)
*I would like to ask all committers to stop backporting to the
release-2_8 branch* as of tomorrow, July 14, 2015 (so you have still
today to push the urgent fixes you never got round to merge).
This way we'll have a stable 2.8.3 in the beginning of August.

Thank you very much,
Matthias