[Qgis-developer] Freeze on release-2_8 branch

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Mon Jul 13 04:44:49 PDT 2015

Hi Jürgen

On 07/13/2015 01:23 PM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> On Mon, 13. Jul 2015 at 12:46:50 +0200, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
>> I think it would be great to branch a release-candidate-2_8_3 (no
>> binaries released, just to backport possible issues identified on the
>> release-2_8 binaries, related to pre-rc-commits). This way people can
>> happily continue to backport stuff.
> What's the point if there are no binaries?  Testing is done not intensive
> enough even with binaries - w/o binaries it's likely to be even worse.
That our release manager does not need to create yet another set of
binaries. And I am confident, that a bug introduced with a
pre-release-candidate commit will also be identified on the binaries
produced for the release-branch with a couple of unrelated commits on top.

>> Until this happens (and mainly for the situation where it does not happen)
>> *I would like to ask all committers to stop backporting to the
>> release-2_8 branch* as of tomorrow, July 14, 2015 (so you have still
>> today to push the urgent fixes you never got round to merge).
>> This way we'll have a stable 2.8.3 in the beginning of August.
> That's can be done without a separate branch - and w/o a separate branch there
> would be nightlies to test...
That's why I proposed that one in bold :)

> My concern is more when https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/2197 is going to be
> resolved - as that is what 2.10.1 is waiting for.

There are still 24 hours to merge it and follow the proposed schedule.

Best,
Matthias