[Qgis-developer] Label polygons only outside of polygons

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sun Jul 19 06:14:11 PDT 2015

Hi,

I see that there are some recent new features regarding labelling:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/commit/388e4047a75d155be0e677866f80d7423937ea30
and
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/commit/3a44e294de08ee03c0386179693c61a3f76e5efe

I have a question regarding Nyalls recent labelling improvements (the
new options to act as obstacle layers).
For a polygon layer, would it be possible to force the labels to always
label outside of the feature? As an example I have a waste-water layer
with small polygons representing special-form manholes (irregularly
shaped). These polygons are usually too small to properly display the
label inside the polygon and I would prefer to automatically place the
label fully outside of the polygon.

So, can I have a layer act both, as a label layer and as an obstacle
layer? Or have another option, something like "Force label to be outside
of the polygon", to label always outside of the polygon of the feature?

Here are two screenshots:

This is how QGIS currently labels these polygons:
http://www.carto.net/neumann/temp/qgis_label_over_polygon.pdf

And this is how I would label them manually, outside of the polygon, but
hope that a future QGIS version can do this automatically:
http://www.carto.net/neumann/temp/manual_label_outside_polygon.pdf

Thanks,
Andreas