[Qgis-developer] Discussion: could Ice be used in Qgis ?

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Wed Jul 22 12:26:11 PDT 2015

Hi

> On 22 Jul 2015, at 14:52, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
>
> Il 22/07/2015 11:48, Julien Michel ha scritto:
>> Hi Qgis developers,
>>
>> I wrote a small library called Ice which is able to render raster (and
>
> Hi all,
> I have seen ti in action during the recent FOSS4G, and I have been
> really impressed by its speed and capabilities. I think it would be a
> grat addition to QGIS, as either a main or alternative renderer.

As nice as the idea is, I think it will be quite a massive undertaking and we would break all the beautiful (ok and ugly) cartography that people have come up with using the rich array of rendering styles that QGIS currently has.  I would also like to see a native OpenGL renderer one day so that we can start to thing about native 3D support. Maybe it would be nice to make a patch that lets you swap between Qt rendering backend and Ice, but honestly its probably a lot of work and may just fade away like the old mapnick renderer did…

Regards

Tim