[Qgis-developer] Discussion: could Ice be used in Qgis ?

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Fri Jul 24 01:31:54 PDT 2015

Hi Julien,

On 07/24/2015 09:02 AM, Julien Michel wrote:
> Thank you all for you replies.
>
> Well I agree with all the comments made here : ice lacks a whole lot
> of things to replace Qgis rendering, and switching the rendering
> backend might be a very complex and time consuming task (that is
> almost the 1st thing I told Paolo). Moreover, Ice focuses on being
> efficient for rendering : that means a whole bunch or things are
> locked within Ice code (for instance, Ice takes care of reading data
> from the hard drive).
>
> Still, if you are getting into pure OpenGl rendering someday, and
> looking for responsive features, Ice can be a good source of
> inspiration. it's not rocket science, just a few things to keep in
> mind (in addition to tile caching and multi-resolution) : let the GPU
> take care of everything it can, including all contrast changes and
> reprojection, and avoid heavy operations (like HDD to

Thank you for the hints. Please allow me one question here. I have
recently plaied with OpenGL for rendering and did let the GPU do CRS
transformation. I could not get it to work to my full satisfaction,
based on the fact that I only had float but no double precision.
Therefore e.g. CRS 21781 (in meters) already uses 6 figures for meters,
one more is still ok but when you zoom into cm resolution you start to
see the precision / rounding errors in rendering.
For reprojection I guess you had to also deal with precision of
coordinates. Did you use OpenGL features which are able to use double,
transform coordinates into an intermediate format before sending them to
the GPU or something totally different?

Regards,
Matthias