[Qgis-developer] Postgis Pointcloud support

Martin Isenburg martin.isenburg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 02:54:31 PDT 2015

Hello,

I am a bit hesitant to recommend inserting LiDAR point clouds into a
database (because I believe - for LiDAR or dense-matching points -- you
should just only insert the shapefile outlines into a database and then run
a las2las query on those spatially indexed (amd possibly resorted) LAS /
LAZ  files whose outlines overlap the queried area) as this has shown not
to be very performant in a large study by TU Delft involving many different
spatial databases ... but in some use cases it may make sense. The papers
and relevant discussions are linked here:

http://groups.google.com/d/topic/lastools/MoYPFzFVxa8/discussion
http://groups.google.com/d/topic/lastools/jkB1UK5DxN4/discussion

That said ... one case where it may make sense is when you insert once and
then look-up *a lot* in small batched. Something like what Yuriv Czoli from
developmentseed did will give you some pointers to get started:

http://developmentseed.org/blog/2014/08/07/processing-lidar-point-cloud/
http://gist.github.com/YKCzoli/3605e014b8ed09a571e5

Regards,

Martin