[Qgis-developer] backported fixes

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Thu Jun 4 01:43:43 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 11:09:45PM +0200, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> On 06/03/2015 10:11 PM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 09:43:31PM +0200, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> >
> >> The ticket system sounds like a good place to manage this information.
> >> In comparison to the commit in master the ticket can be altered later
> >> on. And is referenced from the commit in master if that's the starting
> >> point of the search.
> >> Further it has a nice box showing commits including messages which
> >> relate to that ticket. So if the commit message says "backported to
> >> 2.8.3" all the information is there. And it's a minimal effort for the
> >> developer.
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> > The log of the backporting commit, you mean ?
> >
> > Isn't the information possibly derivable from the branch name ?
> > Not specifying anything would be the minimum possible effort for
> > developer :)

> `git branch --contains {sha}` should return release-2_8 for a backported
> commit.

Only if the commit was "merged". Does not work with cherry-picked or otherwise
rebased commits (very frequent, and personally I prefer those).

> But I have no idea how this plugin works and who maintains it :)

Whatever the plugin does, it necessarely fetch commits of all branches
(or it would not be able to find out about cherry-picked commits in the
stable branch).

Right now the user should have all the info, as long as the commit log
references the ticket. And the redmine plugin would also have them all,
so there's no need to ask developers to do anything more than referencing
the ticket (thus the importance, IMHO, to _require_ tickets exist for any
commits into the stable branch).

--strk;