[Qgis-developer] Data-defined symbol size is not backwards compatible to 2.8.2

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Jun 5 00:52:30 PDT 2015

Hi Victor,

Thanks for your reply.

> The marker size/rotation expression don' not actually exists, like the
> marker size/rotation.
>
> You can define different size/rotation expressions at the symbol level.
> Each symbol can have it's own variation.
>
> It's only in the particular case where the scale/rotation expressions of
> all symbols composing a marker preserve the aspect ratio of the symbol
> that it is recognized as a marker expression and displayed as such.

Thanks - sounds good.
>> As it works currently, I get a very different rendering in the map,
>> compared to the preview in the legend ;-(
>>
> Can you file a bug repport for this if it's not fixed by
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/2111 ?

Will do, once I tested.

I have one more big problem:

This mechanism - for some reasons I don't know yet - does not work on
QGIS server. All the symbols that are correctly scaled on QGIS desktop
are displayed small and of the same size on QGIS server (yes, I am using
the latest version of QGIS server). It seems that the expressions are
not evaluated on QGIS server, but just the initial standard size is used
instead of the impression.

See
http://webgis.uster.ch/temp/qgis_server_rendering_problem_symbol_scaling.png
(left QGIS desktop, right QGIS server)

Can you confirm that this is the case? And if yes, can we do something
about it?

It would be a pity - because I always tell people they get the exact
same rendering between Server and Desktop ...

If confirmed, I will open a bug report.

Thanks a lot for your work!

Andreas