[Qgis-developer] Using the mailing list - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Lene Fischer lfi at ign.ku.dk
Sat Jun 6 01:15:14 PDT 2015

Hi,

As a part of lectures at our university, I show the students and lecturere the mailing lists.
Mailing lists are run by volunteers for free (You and Me ☺) and we all use our time to read and answer questions. Or read and learn. Our way of taking part of the Open Source community.

It is a goldmine with free access!!

There are not so many rules to be followed as user:

·        Be polite – use conventional greetings – Hi –Regards – Thanks. Use your name

·        Be specific and add example or data so it is possible to help.

Eric Steven Raymond has made a blog with “How To Ask Questions The Smart Way” http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before

This blog has become a part of my students Curriculum. Not only for using a mailing list – but for everyday question to fellow students and lecturers. A timesaver and mindsetter.

Hope you all will read and forward the link. It will help us all ☺

Regards

Lene Fischer
Associate Professor

Department of Geosciences and Natural Resource Management
University of Copenhagen

MOB +45 40115084
lfi at ign.ku.dk<mailto:lfi at ign.ku.dk>

[cid:image001.gif at 01D03029.2F3EC6A0]