[Qgis-developer] QGIS 2.8.2 for RHEL/EPEL 7

Dave Johansen davejohansen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 07:54:57 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 1:51 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net>
wrote:

> On 10-06-15 06:58, Dave Johansen wrote:
> > I just built QGIS 2.8.2 for RHEL/EPEL 7 (
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=9997800 ) and it is
> > available in the testing repo (
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/qgis-2.8.2-1.el7 ). I built it
> > without PyQwt because it doesn't support Qwt 6 (
> >
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2014-December/036112.html
> ),
> > so I'm sure that some functionality is disabled and/or won't work but
> > the main application is available for testing.
>
> Hi Dave et al,
>
> Thanks, can you maybe also let us know how you would add this repo, so
> we can maybe update the instructions?
>

> To me it looks like the instructions here:
>

> http://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html#rhel-centos-scientific-linux
>
> are not working anymore for recent versions of RHEL/CentSO, but please
> correct me if I'm wrong.

The instructions to enable use of the EPEL repositories can be found here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#How_can_I_install_the_packages_from_the_EPEL_software_repository.3F

> I'm not sure if we have an official 'maintainer' of QGIS for the
> RedHat/.rpm based distro's currently.
>
> For the sake of the project I think it is good if we have working
> instructions for rpm based distro's.

I'm currently the owner/packager for EPEL 6/7. That's obviously not a "QGIS
role" but a Fedora one.

> From Alex I understood that Angelos is maintaining a build server, which
> maybe also able to build rpm's?
> https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_cross_distribution_howto
>
> We should maybe also tell people if is too hard/impossible to install
> QGIS or QGIS-server on a RHEL/CentOS version (as I understand on RHEL5.5
> it's not doable because of a lack of certain Qt libs)..

I believe that we could build QGIS 1.8 on RHEL 5 without too much problem.
I'm currently only really interested in RHEL 6 and 7, but if there was
interest in supporting QGIS 1.8 on RHEL 5, then I would be glad to do that
as well.