[Qgis-developer] Guidance on plugin QSettings group

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Jun 17 05:56:08 PDT 2015

On 17-06-15 13:42, Tom Chadwin wrote:
> qgis2web saves its settings via QSettings(). However, it currently simply
> saves a load of ungrouped individual settings, which doesn't seem sensible
> (and potentially could overwrite non-qgis2web settings). Is there a
> preferred QSettings() group convention for plugins, or should I just use
> "qgis2web/setting_name"?

Hi Tom,

for what I know your proposal is fine. In this way you form a 'group'
qgis2web in which you are free to form even more hierarchy:
see http://doc.qt.io/qt-4.8/qsettings.html

If you start qgis from command line like this:

qgis --configpath /tmp/qgis

(actually start it twice, first time you have errors because of missing
stuff)....
You will find a QGIS/QGIS2.ini file with all QSettings key/values (in
this fresh configuration). Add some plugins and work with them to see
their settings.

It is on my wishlist to have a table with all current settings in the
Options/System dialog just like you have one for 'Current environment
variables' there...

On linux your QSettings are in ~/.config/QGIS/QGIS2.ini on Windows it is
hidden in the registry OR you use the --configpath trick above to force
writing out to an inifile.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde