[Qgis-developer] LTR

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Mon Mar 2 05:00:39 PST 2015

Hi,

I started to including the LTR release in the packaging/nightly builds.  I'm
going to change the plan/procedure a bit.   Both regular release and ltr will
be branched of master and continue to be called release-$major_$minor.  The LTR
additionally gets a ltr-$major_$minor tag.  release.pl is already changed that
way any release-2_8 has such a tag.

A cronjob will monitor release branches for changes and intiate a new point
release whenever there are two week silence after a new commit (or manually
when there was a very important fix).

The nightly builds will monitor master, latest release and ltr branch and
create nightly packages if there are changes (1+2+4), unless there was a
version change (ie. a point release) in which case regular packages will be
made (3+5).

For Windows there will be five different packages (1-5: qgis-dev, qgis-rel-dev,
qgis, qgis-ltr-dev, qgis-ltr) in OSGeo4W, for debian/ubuntu there will be five
different repositories (1-5: debian-nightly, debian-nightly-release, debian,
debian-lts-nightly, debian-lts).

4+5 are only made if the latest release and ltr branch are different.  Until
then latest release and ltr are identical anyway.  That also means ltr packages
only start four months after a ltr release happened and we maintain the ltr
branch four months as our regular and nine specifically as separate ltr
release.  That also implies that installing ltr packages means that you install
something that already has seen four months of maintainance.

An open question is what to do in the four month a new ltr is out.  While there
is no new regular release only regular packages are created and there are no
new ltr packages.  This might be negligible as the ltr branch will have been
maintained for a year as promised, but if you only install ltr packages there
will be a gap of four months without updates.  But I guess that can be left
open until we get there.

Thoughts?

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode