[Qgis-developer] QGIS server (broken?) logging

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 12:38:44 PST 2015

Hi,

I feel I'm not the only one having an hard time to get proper logging
from QGIS server.

Maybe I've completely misunderstood how it's supposed to work but I've
spent quite a lot of time in different occasions trying log something
from the main FCGI loop without success. It seems that the only way it
works correctly is when the binary is invoked from the command line.

I cannot understand the reasons for some parts of the current
implementation, for example: can someone shed some light about the
purpose of the (unused) QgsServerLogger class? Why QgsMessageLog
doesn't work inside the FCGI loop (but works from the command line)?

I see that QgsServerLogger it's pretty recent but it's not used
anywhere (except to get the message level before entering the CGI
loop), I also don't get why despite having a similar interface (but
not identical: most methods are not static) it does not inherit from
QgsMessageLog.

I think that proper logging is mandatory for every server side
application and the standard behaviour would be to print messages in
the server error logs (maybe FCGI doesn't support that?), having a
configurable separate file it's a nice addition but a standard logging
mechanism is much more important.

Before I file a ticket, I would like some feedback: is it just me
using a wrong configuration (I believe I've tested all possible
combinations of env vars) or is it really broken?

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it