[Qgis-developer] Contributing to QGIS

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Thu Mar 5 06:03:12 PST 2015

On Thu, Mar 05, 2015 at 07:22:09PM +0530, ayush khandelwal wrote:
> Hi QGIS team
> I have been using QGIS for about 8 months now and I am loving it. Being a
> regular user of QGIS, I wish to contribute to the development process. I
> also wish to take part in GSOC '15 and do a kickass project for QGIS.
>
> I am in my 3rd year of study, majoring in computer science from IIIT
> Hyderabad. I am a research student of the Lab for Spatial Informatics. I am
> familiar with C/C++, python, javascript and HTML/CSS  (Github
> <https://github.com/ayk115>). I am well acquainted with the concepts of
> spatial data, CRS, map generalization, spatial databases, querying etc.
>
> I am done with the setup of QGIS. Any tips on how to start off?

Ayush, it would be great if you could start by enhancing the QGIS
testsuite, which is currently lacking coverage of many crucial aspects.

A good way into that would be to run "make check" and ensure it
succeeds on your system, then move on to picking one bugfix (ideally
among the ones recetnly fixed in the 2.8 branch) and ensure it has
a corresponding testcase, adding it if missing.

Speaking of spatial databases (for example) there's no automated testcase
involving interaction between QGIS and PostGIS. It would be a big step
forward to build a framework for that.

--strk;