[Qgis-developer] american fuzzy lop

Hugo Mercier hugo.mercier at oslandia.com
Fri Mar 6 01:44:48 PST 2015

Hi,

Interesting.

The idea of fuzzing is to add random noise to inputs of a program in
order to make it crash and exhibit hard-to-test branches of code.
It is very well suited for programs that parse complex inputs.

For QGIS, the "inputs" are either project files or external data
sources, where it relies on third party libraries and where the inputs
are not always easy to represent as files (how to fuzz a postgis database ?)

So this may be interesting for testing project file parsing.
But I think it would be better suited for external libraries like GDAL.

Anyway, automatic tools are always good to try if they can improve the
overall quality.

Speaking about tests for external sources, it would be good to add (or
complete) unit tests for "direct" providers (spatialite, postgis, etc.),
probably as an option, since the setup is platform-dependent.