[Qgis-developer] How to store a QIcon in QGIS project file?

Germán Carrillo carrillo.german at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 08:06:12 PST 2015

Hi All,

I'd like to add a "Set Group Icon..." action to the context menu for groups
in the layer tree. I'm preparing a pull request for that.

Everything is working fine, but I have a doubt on how to make the QGIS
project to store the QIcon (location), so that when the project is open
again, the QIcon can be constructed properly.

My first attempt was to store the QIcon path in the project, which works
fine when the icon is set through QGIS GUI. However, it wouldn't work for
PyQGIS users, who pass a QIcon object to the setIcon() method of
QgsLayerTreeGroup. Since QIcon does not store its image file path, it would
not be possible to access the path and store it in the project file. I
would have to force PyQGIS users to set the image file path via get/set
functions iconPath()-setIconPath(), which is not very elegant, but it's the
only solution I see.

Do you know any other solution for this problem? Perhaps something about
storing the QIcon somehow serialized?

Regards,

Germán Carrillo
--