[Qgis-developer] graph and plots improvements?

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Wed Mar 18 06:03:07 PDT 2015

Hi

On 03/18/2015 01:39 PM, Régis Haubourg wrote:
> Hi Mattheo,
> I totally agree with that feature request and am volunteer to work on that
> if needed.
>
> I have been doing experiments with processing scripts using library such as
> pandas (relying on matplotlib), seaborn and plot.ly.
> See "Summarize_numeric_columns_using_Pandas" script in  my github
> https://github.com/aeag/QGIS-Processing/tree/master/scripts ) for a first
> example. We also have unpublished scripts making graphs if needed.
>
> I expect to have a student working on that this year: exploring what libs
> are worth being shipped with qgis, and developping some processing tools
> using that.
>

> The tries I have made up to now seems to conclude that the "must have" lib
> is Pandas. Many QGIS processing tools working on non geographic data are
> limited when datasets grow up. Pandas let it be extrmely fast and concise,
> in a syntax very close from "R". That may be worth shipping it..
> It weights nothing in comparison of Numpy (already required)..

Pandas is really great. I used it a lot for my master thesis and was
excited, especially in combination with ipython notebook it's great to
process, combine and visualize data.
Just a minior sidenote: it makes use of numpy IIRC, so it's not an
alternative to it but something on top of it.

All the best
Matthias