[Qgis-developer] [GRASS-dev] QGIS GRASS Plugin Upgrade Crowdfunding

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 07:47:54 PDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 5:56 AM, Radim Blazek <radim.blazek at gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> Are there functions in time series implementation which need to be
> >> called directly from the plugin or everything may be done just calling
> >> t.rast.* modules?
> >
> > Most of the temporal functionality is available through the temporal
> > modules. However some important algorithms (temporal re-sampling) are
> > available only in the Python framework. This is needed for time series
> > animation creation. Using the framework directly will speed things up,
> > because the module calls, the parsing and interpretation of the module
> > outputs can be avoided.
>
> If it should be used for dynamic animation in QGIS canvas you could
> consider the possibility to subclass raster renderer in Python and
> insert it into raster layer pipe from Python plugin.

Speaking about animations, some things from GRASS GIS GUI could be perhaps
used directly in the same was as Tcl/Tk NVIZ is used in processing for
GRASS 6. Animation tool is one of them. This would be great since we would
get al least some functionality/code sharing between GRASS and QGIS GUIs
which is otherwise not possible due to Python/wxPython and C++/Qt (and
would be only possible if both things would be at least in the same
language).

This is of course not fulfilling the requirement to be general, i.e. work
with other data providers in QGIS, but surely some things just have to be
like that if they are using GRASS-specific formats (temporal data) or
algorithms (e.g. algorithms to work with temporal data, their topology,
...).

Vaclav