[Qgis-developer] QGIS & PyCSW

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 25 00:50:11 PDT 2015

On 03/25/2015 08:43 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> I think adding also a CSW server configurator would complete the
> toolchain. This could be done integrating PyCSW in QGIS, and possibly in
> its web clients (QGIS web client and LizMap). Anyone interested?
> What are the missing pieces and stumbling blocks, in your view?

Including PyCSW in QGIS will make it non-free in the opinion of the
Debian FTP masters. They have not accepted the pycsw package into main
because it contains the OGC XSDs, the OGC Document & Software Notice
license terms used for the XSDs are problematic.

This issue was discussed on the standards lists recently, see the
threading started at:

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/standards/2015-February/000834.html

In Debian the PyCSW code will need to be stripped from QGIS to keep it
out of non-free, it will have to move to contrib because of the non-free
pycsw dependency.

I'm not in favor of including PyCSW in QGIS until OGC license situation
is resolved.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--