[Qgis-developer] Have custom functions available in the console

Caroline Alexiou carolinegr at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 07:18:25 PDT 2015

Hello,
I want to have some helper functions available in the Python console within
qgis, for instance this:
def a():
    return iface.activeLayer()
so that I type less things. I tried to start qgis with the --code argument
but this didn't work. I also tried to put this function in the
.qgis2/python/startup.py but when I am in the console a() is not
recognized. I can create

@qgsfunction(0, "Python")
   def a(v,f,p):
       return iface.activeLayer()

in startup.py but then I'm not sure how I'd use it from within the console.
Also, I know I can use scriptrunner to get the function to work, but I am
looking to do this on startup, ie I start qgis, go to the console and a()
is available. Is this possible within Qgis core or should I look into maybe
adapting script runner for my purposes?

Bests,
Karolina Alexiou