[Qgis-developer] Qt4->Qt5 timeline: Qt4's status and Qt4's webkit removal in Stretch

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sun May 10 05:44:19 PDT 2015

On 05/10/2015 02:16 PM, Anita Graser wrote:
> On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 1:45 PM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>> Seems a rather serious issue. Shouldn't we reconsider our roadmap
>> accordingly?
>>

> ​I don't seem to be able to find any dates mentioned in the linked
> resources. When (date) will Debian remove Qt4?

The Debian Qt maintainers didn't give definitive dates in their
announcement [1], but they mention that Qt upstream is about to release
the last Qt4 point release (4.8.7), Qt upstream also recommends keeping
Qt4 until 2017 which translates to the end of the jessie stable release.

The next two years must be used to move away from Qt4 to Qt5. During
that time Qt4 components will be removed when they cannot be supported
anymore. The Qt4 Webkit component will be the first to go. Regarding its
removal the Qt maintainers said:

"
 Of course we still have a lot of KDE stuff using Qt4's webkit, so it
 won't disappear "soon", but it will at some point.
"

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2015/05/msg00001.html

> This basically warms up our discussion on
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-psc/2015-April/002974.html

Switching to Qt5 and Python 3 for QGIS 3.0 sounds good.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1