[Qgis-developer] Qt4->Qt5 timeline: Qt4's status and Qt4's webkit removal in Stretch

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sun May 10 11:53:25 PDT 2015

On 05/10/2015 05:02 PM, Anita Graser wrote:
> On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 3:39 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic at xs4all.nl>
> wrote:
>
>> On 05/10/2015 03:13 PM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
>> ​>​
>>  2.8
>>> can't be maintained w/o Qt4, Python2 and PyQt4.   But when stretch
>>> is released, support for 2.8 is long gone.
>>>
>>> So I don't really see the urgency about this.
>>
>> There is indeed no urgency yet. Since Debian has just released the
>> jessie stable release
>> <http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer>
>>

> ​Good, great that's settled!
>
> I think we should start educating (plugin) devs and power users that a
> switch to 3.0 will be necessary within a time frame of approx. 2 years
> (Please correct me if I misunderstood) so they can take this information
> into account when planning development.
>
> If you agree, I can write a short blog post as a first step.

The time frame for the switch from Qt4 to Qt5 is the next two years,
because in 2017 Qt upstream ends support.

The time frame for the switch from Python 2 to Python 3 in the next 4-5
years (two Debian release cycles). The next stable release (stretch)
will still have Python 2, the removal is planned for the release after
that (buster).

Kind Regards,

Bas

--