[Qgis-developer] Virtual layers for QGIS

Hugo Mercier hugo.mercier at oslandia.com
Mon May 11 07:11:11 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I've been recently involved in the development of "virtual layers" for
QGIS. The topic has already been discussed previously. In a few words it
allows to craft SQL queries (with spatial support) on any vector
layer(s) that QGIS is able to load.

Now I have a plugin that is usuable and allows you to get familiar with
the concept and test it.

More details are given here (with links to some videos):
https://github.com/mhugo/qgis_vlayers

A binary version of the plugins for Windows 32bits is available here :
http://91.121.102.10/vlayers/qgis_28_vlayers_4_win32.zip

An integration of virtual layers in db manager is provided, but it is
better served with an improved version of db manager. A pull request
about this is being reviewed (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/2025).
You can also directly find it here :
http://91.121.102.10/vlayers/db_manager_with_query_builder_and_vlayers.zip

Please do not hesitate to test this new functionality and report bugs or
requests (here or on the github page)

Now the next step would be to lead toward a proper integration into QGIS
core. I am already aware of some limitations that I have listed. I would
be happy to have any other feedback.

The hackfest next week could also be a good place to discuss it (I will
be presenting it during the conference)

Cheers.
Hugo