[Qgis-developer] Labels: Return displayed as square in Windows

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Thu May 14 03:15:07 PDT 2015

hi,

> Hi all.
> I noticed that in Windows adding a return inside a string in a text
> label expression, like:
> 'This is
> a field: ' || FIELDNAME
> shows properly in my linux box, but an empty square is displayed in
> Windows. I tried several fonts, both TrueType and not.
> Is there an explanation for this?

Can't confirm your issue. the return in the text is well applied on 2.8.2
(osgeo), windows 8 32bits.

> As a side note, the return and the option to replace a character
> (typically space) with return do not interact nicely, the return within
> a string not being used.

Indeed, there's an issue. Tested widely and these are my conclusions :
- if the return and the wrap character are in the same string, the return
is not taken into account, it becomes a simple space;
- if the wrap character appears before the return, even in a separate
string, the return is not taken into account, it becomes a simple space.
- Only returns written before a wrap character, in a separate string, are
applied.

Hoping that helps.