[Qgis-developer] Request for a full translation of QGIS project

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Thu May 14 05:32:32 PDT 2015

> Hi all,
> One of the main arguments I use when I praise QGIS virtues with my
> relations is its modularity. Indeed, through plugin system, you can have
> access to many different tools to improve the Core software and almost do
> whatever you want.
> But unfortunately, In spite of the efforts of all, this system lugs some
> gaps IMHO. At least for the non native english speaker I am (either from
> user or contributor side).
>
> 1/ Suppose you are someone who is looking for a plugin to do something.
> There is a search bar in QGIS Desktop "Manage and Install plugins...'
> dialog. but you first need to find what's the corresponding terms in
> english to do your research. How many times did I begin to write a search
> text in french before realizing that it should be in english if I want to
> have better (succesfull?) returns?
>
> 2/ I agree that it's up to plugin developpers to provide localized
> plugins. Good practice recommend plugin to be written in english. You can
> then translate but in the informations retrieved by "Manage and Install
> plugins...' dialog, I don't think it's possible to show tag, description,
> name... in any language other than English, unless you mixed the languages
> in the same "row".
> Once installed, you get localized informations when provided (tested with
> Mask plugin in french). Wouldn't it be better to have those informations
> (tag, about, description, changelog...) only in the localized language,
> before I install the plugin?
>
> 3/ Another place to look for informations about plugins is
> https://plugins.qgis.org/. But this website is only in English. I think
> it also deserves to be translated as we've done with QGIS DeskTop,
> documentation and main website. This page is the main place to have
> informations about plugins (rules to create them, to publish them and also
> to know them). There are many tags that can be translated to facilitate
> searches.
>  It's very important when you are a beginner or want to contribute...
>
> In brief, I think that QGIS project should provide more capabilities to
> get translated informations about plugins (either in the plugin's website
> and in "Install plugins" dialog) :
> - offer an user looking for a plugin informations in the more suitable
> language wherever, and without having to install the plugin
> - offer to plugin developper translatable and working (?) options: for
> example, changelog[fr] in EasyCustomLabeling plugin metadata does exist and
> shows nothing but about[fr] worked properly
> - and maybe later, we'll talk about translating qgis building instructions
> (
> http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/doc/INSTALL.html)
> :) for testers?
>
> I don't know how technically it can be done but think it'll be a good
> improvement for the project.
> [...]

Hi,

I agree with you that this would be a nice feature!

At least for the official plugin repository we should continue to require
that english is always available but support for more translations in
plugin title, description and maybe tags would be a really useful
enhancement.

Support for plugin translations in the plugin installer (your point /1 and
/2)  needs that translation support is added to metadata parser and
validator, the plugin installer, the plugin website (your /3) and perhaps
also to the plugin builder (the plugin) and other plugin building tools.

Unfortunately, this requires quite a lot of work, is there anybody out
there willing to help or fund this development?

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it