[Qgis-developer] A common set of functions for QGIS plugins

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 05:20:20 PST 2015

> I'm in two minds as to whether it would be a good thing to have an
> 'official' one. While I can see the use, surely if these things are useful
> then they should be included in the mainline API with proper API guarantees?
> I'm not sure I'd want to rely on a library that doesn't have an API
> guarantee, and if you're making the guarantee then why not in core? If they
> are *required* for a plugin to be accepted, then they must be in core and
> have an API guarantee.

My ideas is definitely to put this into core (that's what I wrote in
my email when i detailed the plans that i have for this), but I have
started it as a separate repo to make it easier to collaborate and to
start moving ASAP.

I could write a QEP with this idea, get it approved, throw a bunch of
empty py modules in qgis.utils and then start working, but I like to
first do some work, get people into it, and then do the bureucracy to
pass this to core (I am sure no one will say no to this once a nice
collection of functions is ready)

I will wait for other people to voice their opinion, and if most
people agree on going taht other way, I have nothing against it