[Qgis-developer] Plugin Dependencies

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Nov 5 00:50:01 PST 2015

On 05-11-15 04:56, Tim Sutton wrote:
>> Some random thoughts:
>>
>> Quite powerful... but ... the current plugin packaging has very
>> limited requirements: it's just a zipped folder with a couple of
>> mandatory metadata and a class interface, building a simple plugin is
>> definitely an easy task.
>>
>> I'm afraid that by using a much more complicate system (such as
>> setuptools), would solve some problem for the (few) complex plugins
>> and create a lot of problems and increase the barrier for the vast
>> majority of simpler plugin authors.

I agree with Tim, unless we come up with a very simple way, this will
not solve the problem: "non tech savvy users cannot setup their python
environment for some complex plugi".

The different module versions problem I do not see as a practical
problem, most times python can work with higher versions. Let's keep it
the responsibility of the plugin builders to keep up with versions of
their modules.
I still think just copy the modules into the plugin is easiest (although
redundant).
And if you cannot package the lib with your plugin because of OS
problems: documentation is the answer...

Somebody with this insights, maybe can write a chapter about python path
magics and how QGIS works with that?

Regards,

Richard