[Qgis-developer] Plugin migratin -> mailing list?

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Sun Nov 8 01:27:20 PST 2015

On 8 November 2015 at 08:40, Tom Chadwin <tom.chadwin at nnpa.org.uk> wrote:

> I can only speak about UK legislation. That only allows the use of
> collected
> personal data for purposes explicitly stated at the time of collection. I
> don't believe such permission is sought when plugins are submitted. Are
> there any terms and conditions which bind plugin authors?

I would think that listing yourself in the metadata as the author for a
plugin is rather explicitly agreeing to be contacted regarding that plugin,
why else would someone put their email there? I would expect to hear from
the admins on that address, and even from users, and so set an appropriate
address for that purpose.

Personally, I would like to see a proper mailing list for plugin devs, as
neither the users nor developers lists seem quite the right place to be
asking questions or receiving advice on plugin development. Do an initial
mail-out to all the contact addresses telling about the list, but don't
auto-subscribe, that will act as a natural filter on those plugins no
longer actively developed. Then when important milestones arrive in the 3.x
release use the full author list for announcement emails only pointing to
the plugin list or wiki for further details.

John.