[Qgis-developer] Project quality discussion

Vincent Picavet (ml) vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Mon Nov 9 02:42:58 PST 2015

Hello,

On 07/11/2015 00:08, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> On 7 Nov 2015 12:22 AM, "Hugo Mercier" <hugo.mercier at oslandia.com
> <mailto:hugo.mercier at oslandia.com>> wrote:
>> - if a company with no core developer wants to ensure a new feature is
>> accepted, it should pay another core developer for the reviewing part.
>> Ideally the money should go to the project and the project would decide
>> what core developer(s) to pay.
[..Snip.]

> It also means the entire project becomes 100% dependant on financing. At
> the moment a huge chunk (probably the majority) of QGIS work is
> volunteer or via non-funded contributions.

As far as I know this statement is totally wrong. The vast majority of
QGIS work is done via paid people during work hours. This is definitly
not volunteering, neither non-funded.
Some work may not be _directly_ funded, but it it still paid work :
researchers, consultant, people who develop plugins to help their jobs
may not be paid directly to do specific QGIS improvement. But all the
work they do on it is part of their global job.

They are indeed students, week-end programmers and other fully
benevolent volunteers who do a great job in QGIS, but it is IMHO very
far from being a majority.
And paying them to work on QGIS also is a way to value their work and
improve quality, not make the project $$$-dependant.

Vincent