[Qgis-developer] New QEP process

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 02:15:11 PST 2015

Hi all,

So I have been thinking about the QEP process, because yes the current
process is not good and way to slow for how we work.  To streamline I have
talked to a few people and this is the notes so far.

- Open for at least one week
- QEP process should be fast and evolve into a PR but also not cut back on
details.
- PR can also be opened at the same time - however not recommend if
something is still in planning stage and changing, or chance of rejection
e.g don't update all the code headers with MIT and then open a QEP because
it wouldn't happen.
- Code based QEPs require at least 2 +1's
- Requires +1 from maintainer of that area of code e.g Nyall for composer
work, Martin for rendering thread
- Project QEPs require majority PSC vote
- May be extended upon request (eg, i'm on holidays but have feedback)
- May be extended if required
- Others can assign themselves as interested e.g I might be interested in
Processing but can't comment on the code.  Mainly just to provide feedback.
- If no maintainer for a area of code, requires at least 2 +1s from core
devs

The tl;dr version:

- Project QEP: PSC vote
- Code QEP: min +2 (+1 from maintainer plus +1 from other)
- Keep it semi formal but quick.

The code maintainer for the different areas will need to be updated however
I'm sure we can handle that.

How does that sound to everyone?

I would like to make it fast but also give us time to review changes that
will affect the project.